FROM FOA TO FAO

MY SUCCESS STORY - FROM FOA TO FAO

A little goes a long way...

I was enrolled for the course of BSc (Hons) Agriculture (Spp: Aquaculture) in 2010 and graduated in 2013 with myriad of memories from the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Mauritius to cherish. Upon enrollment at the university, I was ignorant of the importance and vast opportunities of agriculture but soon after, I developed a passion for this sector. Those 3 years spent at the Faculty of Agriculture were the most enjoyable, challenging and so enriching that are presently helping me to move through different steps in my professional career. My journey at the Faculty was full of ups and downs but the never ending support of some lecturers and friends boosted up my confidence to outshine myself.

The Faculty reminds me of many good moments; the green space where we all used to sit and chat, playing cards in between lectures, playing football, birthday parties, making lots of noise (yes, I was among those), presentations, late night group revisions on Facebook, enjoying practical classes at the University Farm (though at that time I never sowed a seed in my own backyard garden), site visits and so many others. Days went by when I realised that the daily mantra of most students; wake up, grab a few bites for breakfast, get into class, ‘learn’ all day and sleep was way too boring. I wanted to make the most of my university life and thus besides my studies, I plunged myself into extracurricular activities. Among the outstanding life changing experiences I gained at the Faculty, was being selected to volunteer at the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation for my student work placement. The best thing that happened to me was when I was posted to Round Island and cut from civilisation for two weeks; I learnt to be more independent and came back with thrilling stories and pictures to relate. From being someone who would jump at almost every little thing approaching me to adventuring at night for boa search in the woods convinced me that everything that scares you is an opportunity to know your best self better. 



Doing petrel survey on Round Island


The year 2013 was marked by a challenging but enriching experience as the President of the UoM Agricultural Society. Organising activities did not only create networking platforms for students who participated in, but have unknowingly opened up opportunities for myself. Coming up with events were not an overnight phenomenon and I was at several times challenged to explore my potential as I had to simultaneously cope with my final year thesis and revisions. Nevertheless, besides good wishes I received, were critics that I had to courageously digest. Focused but never discouraged, my team and I made differences on the ground by initiatives like launching an Agricultural Awareness Campaign in schools and promoting different aspects of agriculture through events like Go Blue Fair, Agricultural Fair, Youth & Agriculture Seminar, etc. 


Pilot survey with fisherman at Quatre Soeurs, Mauritius
/FAO SmartFish Project

Shortly after receiving my final year results, I was recommended by a lecturer for a 2 months placement in a hydroponic greenhouse at a Secondary School and soon after another lecturer recommended me as the Team Leader for a project of the FAO. Seizing opportunities at that time have now opened up my professional career and elation is when I was recommended as the Assistant Project Officer for the FAO SmartFish Programme.

With the leadership skills and knowledge acquired at the Faculty during 3 years, and skills about implementing projects at international and national levels, I have a vision of creating a national platform to contribute to agricultural development, in particular food security in Mauritius. Until now, this pathway turned into reality all thanks to the skills gathered and support from lecturers the Faculty. By getting engaged in organising events and grabbing opportunities offered to me by some lecturers, not only did I take a step towards changing my student experience, but these challenges have better armed me towards looking at development with an enthusiastic eye. 

I dedicate this University success story to all lecturers at the Faculty, especially to Mrs. E. Aumjaud, Mrs. D. Goburdhun, Mr. K. Boodhoo, Mr. A. Rughoo, Mrs. R. Brijmohun and Mr. S. Hardowar.




Comments